By Richmond B Tholley
The Peninsula community Radio in Tombo has been burnt down by fire. The radio which had been in operations for over twenty years was reportedly burnt down because of a faulty connection. The incidence occurred around 9am on Wednesday,21st October, 2020.
According to the Deputy Station Manager, Edward Sesay, after the usual morning Production meeting, he went in to open the main door of one of the studios, when he discovered the second studio is on fire. “The cause of the fire, was as a result of a collusion of one of the main electric cables from the consumer unit, which is the main power supply to the studios”, Sesay said. In the process, the current engulfed the radio burning down valuable appliances worth thousands of dollars.
The Deputy Manager said, the burning of the radio station has affected several communities across the Peninsula in getting timely information. “Electrical appliances and equipment, including the transmitter and the entire building have all been burnt down. It was shocking to us, as a management and the community”, he said. Though the Independent Radio Network, Western Area Rural District Council have visited the radio to sympathize with the management and community, there has not been any help from any organization in relation to the incident. Radio Peninsula, situated along the Main Motor road Tombo, was established in the year 2000 to serve the people of the Western Rural district, especially Tombo, the peninsula and Beach areas, Kagboroh and Bumpeh Chiefdoms.